Friday, January 7, 2011

I CAN TIGHTENED EAGLES LEAKING DEFENCE – POLAND BASED UGO UKAH


The Italian born Nigerian defender, Ugochukwu Ukah has declare his intention to don the Eagles green and white jersey believing he has the qualities to sanitize the eagles wobbling defence line if given the needed opportunity by Coach Samson Siasia.

The Widzew Lodz of Poland defender also believes Nigeria players will rise again as far as CAF award is concern.

He talked about how he becomes a footballer, his ups and downs as well as his major ambition to play for Eagles and many more.

Tell us about yourself?
I am a Nigerian defender born in Italy 26 years ago to Nigeria parents. I grew up playing football. And I have played for clubs like Parma, Regienna, Truetina, Pro Vasta, both in Italy, I played for Queens Park Rangers in England alongside Danny Shittu. I played for Giulianovia in Italy before I joined my present team, Widzew lodz in Poland about three seasons ago.

Having played in Italy, England and now Poland, what can you say about the three leagues?
They are all good leagues with different characteristics. In Italy where I started the game as an amateur and professional, tactics matters a lot and we do a lot of running in Italian league. It is tough and strong. In England, it is tougher because you have to be strong because it is physical and faster than Italy.  But Poland is the combination of both, the league has improved tremendously and still improving, it is a league that gives Players Avenue to show their talents for those bigger leagues to see. There are a lot of different countries National team players here as well so Polish league is not lacking in qualities. The fact that the country is hosting the next EURO, in 2012, it ahs open doors for many sponsors that have been coming in and it is good for the league.

How will you rate your team’s performance this term?
We did not start well, but gradually we manage to get back and playing better, our position on the table has improved, we have new coach who brought new ideas to the team and that has been helping us for better and we are hoping for a better performance when the league resume after the Xmas break. We are aiming to finish among the top four and get a continental ticket.

Who are your role models when you are growing up as a player?
As a young boy who loves the game and playing it, I take time to watch some games, I love Williams Gallas, Lillian Thuram and always hope to be like them, but when I started growing up, I was interested and making name and have a style for myself and be Ugo for others to emulate.

What are your ambitions as a player?
I have my ultimate ambition to play for Nigeria Super eagles since my childhood. I will be glad if I am given the chance to play for Eagles, I have watch Nigeria matches recently, and with due respect to all the players, I see that I can do well to make the eagles defence more solid. I know myself and what I can do. I will be glad if Coach Samson Siasia gives me the chances needed to prove myself and excel with Eagles.I have the qualities. I am very sure the coach will be glad he did because that has been my long time ambition.

We have seeing situation where by many Nigerians that were born outside the country play dream to play for other nation, haven’t you dream of such?
I have never have that taught because I know I am a full blooded Nigerian, I am close to my family and they all love eagles and watch Nigeria team, I love my country and that was why I did not consider playing for my country of birth and others that have interest in me.

Did you face any objection from your parents on your choice of career?
I was combining football and education from the beginning but I have been concentrating on football, all what my parents do tell me is that I should face my study as I am doing for football, but at 17, I saw my potentials and join a team that shape me well. I could not combine university education with football and that is why I dropped but I will later go to school but I am concentrating fully on Football now because I am destined to be great as a footballer.

Nigerians have been shot out of CAF Award for a long time, what do you think is responsible for that?
That is football. It does happen. Spain for example are nowhere to be found some years back in football but now they are winning everything, Brazil are not like before, so same is affecting Nigeria. We will get back to that stage. We have good players but will soon become world star. The CAF award will soon come back to Nigeria.

When was your best moment?
That was when I signed contract with Widzew lodz. I felt good and I have even captain the team for some matches this season, been an African, it means I am appreciated. They gave me the needed support here, I feel good. I am sure I will achieve better things.

When was your low point?
That was when I played for Queens Park Rangers, though I signed good contract but after playing some games, I was dropped despite playing well for some players I am better than, but with hard work and God as well as my family support, I see through my contract with them

No comments:

Post a Comment